Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Dave Santisi - Ephesians 6:1-4

Ephesians 6:1-4 ESV
Family

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. 
 
This passage reminds me of God’s love for us and the way we should feel about Him in return. Children should know that their parents love them and their rules are generated out of love for them. These are surely rules that should be obeyed, because they are ultimately designed to benefit and not to anger the child, just as God’s laws are intended to benefit all of us that are His children. Fathers (and Mothers) must love their children by offering them structure and discipline that is pleasing to God.
 
Personally this passage means a lot to me. We have Logan (8 years old), Kyle (6), and Kaitlyn (4). I am often trying to find that difficult balance between loving them with kindness and teaching them the ways of the world which are often less than kind. We are blessed to be able to offer them things beyond their needs. However, I do remind my kids that our rules are out of love for them as well. In fact, they should question my love for them if I don’t have rules or teach discipline because then I would not be mindful of their safety or future happiness. It seems to me that my best parenting comes from being in Christ, because the greatest joy comes from self sacrifice. Parenting has blessed me with this realization. This is the lesson of Jesus’s love for all of us. So my goal is to constantly communicate to my kids that what may not seem like so much fun to them, like following rules and abiding in the Lord, will give them structure and lasting peace as they face life’s challenges.
 

Action step: Communicate to your kids that your rules come from your love for them. 

Dave Santisi, Wilton, is a member of Hope and works with the youth and is an usher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment