Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Diane Maudsley - Romans 15:4

The Bible
Romans 15:4 (NIV)

 “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope”. 

The Bible is a book written long ago and yet the words I read on a daily basis are able to influence my inner self to such a degree that I would find hope even in life’s toughest moments. Can this be real? Isn’t hope what everyone longs for in the struggles of life? I am always looking for hope.  I experience real hope as I turn to the Bible as my source when I am troubled, anxious, weary, and even when I am celebrating life!

God has drawn me to His word in some very real circumstance of life:
I turned to the word for encouragement and hope when I prayed for my son’s ship adrift at sea, and I found hope in Psalm 91. I turned to the word when I felt like quitting and the Lord led me to study the Book of Ruth. I prayed for my son to be careful and safe in a foreign city, and the Lord led me to Psalm 35. I sought the Lord when I was overwhelmed with sorrow and he answered with verses in Joshua 23 “be very strong; hold fast to the Lord your God” and Judges 5 “march on my soul, be strong”! When my sin was hanging on to me, Psalm 51:9-12 restored my vision and hope.

Faith, endurance and hope are words that the Lord has been bringing to life in my world over the past year and a half. These are words you will find in that Bible in your hands.

Our Scripture from Romans 15:4 is an encouragement that our hope is found in the Word of God. The more you are in the Word, reading, studying, memorizing, praying, the closer you know the God of the Bible and His ways! As you know Him deeper, you learn to trust Him in your situations as He leads you to Scripture to guide you along your way.

Scripture, although written in the past, is very alive for today. Let it teach you, allow it to encourage you. Soon you will be able to endure hardship as it comes because you will rest assured that God’s promises in His Word will come to pass!  Put your hope in God!


Challenge question:  What situation in my life today can I bring to God in prayer and seek hope for in the Bible?


Diane Maudsley lives in Wilton and serves at Hope Church as the Women’s Ministry Director and as a “Moms Next” mentor mom. She also works part time for Pegasus Therapeutic Riding as an instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment