Friday, September 16, 2016

Whitney Janeway - Romans 12:1-2


Our Role - Gods Role
Romans 12:1-2

12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God-this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.


"Be transformed" is a special phrase to me, remembering that it was emblazoned onto the T-shirts of our youth mission trip participants years ago. Transformation substantiates the real change at the point of our commitment to Christ, our submission, which then requires this sacrifice of our bodies. To illustrate from my life, I want to share two significant times that I always include in my testimony.

First, while separated from the love of my life during our courtship, I was reading Born Again by Chuck Colson in faraway Scotland. It was given to me by Jana's father to help me in my search for meaning. I clearly remember finishing the reading of this book which deeply spoke to my brokenness and need. I was in tears, alone in a room that featured a full wall of floor to ceiling windows looking out to a wild, wonderful Scottish hillside. I intentionally submitted my life to Christ at that moment. He then blessed me with a magnificent rainbow filling the sky. I'll never forget it.

While this is about offering your body as an act of worship, I feel it was my heart that I offered up, the essence of my spiritual body.

Second, is a transformational moment in my life as my firstborn (who was eight weeks premature) suffered a deadly intestinal gangrene three weeks into her life. When informed by the doctor by phone of the necessary surgery on her four-pound body, and the devastating prognosis, I clearly remember my conversation with the Lord. While it was not my own body, it surely felt like that in my gut as I offered up my daughter's broken body to the Lord if it was his will to take her. If he restored her via the surgeons, we would forever remember His miraculous gift. That submission was genuine and the restoration of her body was truly a miracle. Julia's subsequent life has been a great joy to many. Thank you, Lord.

Your moment of conversion is a great blessing from and to the Lord, a true gift. Your resubmitting of your entire body to his glory is your way to continually please Him and to grow and help build His kingdom on earth.

Now, on you go, to deal with this fallen world with your transformed life. All I can say, is seeking to please Him in the power he provides, be sure to "gas up" each morning in your prayerful conversation with Him, seeking to follow the path he has set out, which is His perfect will for each of us.

Parting thought and question:

Thank the Lord for past opportunities to fully submit to Him; seek in your quiet time to serve him, sacrificially, offering your heart, soul and might in true thankfulness for the grace he has bestowed on you.

Whitney Janeway lives in Wilton and has been at Hope for 30 years & serves in Prayer Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment