Monday, December 5, 2016

Anne Koproski - 1 Corinthians 13:1-7

1 Corinthians 13:1-7 (NIV)
Living in Christian Love

13 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

I was at a wedding recently and heard these versus yet again. It’s one of those chapters that is easy for me to think I know what it means and not take the time to see how it applies to me now. I thought of the newlyweds starting out and so totally in “love.” A bit envious, over the next few days I reflected on this. I remember my wedding day- my face hurt from constant smiling I was so happy. Now we’ve been through better and worse, sickness and health, rich and poor; and we’re not done yet. Wanting to recommit, I meditated on this passage and personal vows.

If I have all the spiritual gifts but no love – what’s the point? God is love – is there anything bigger than that? I can pretend to be a certain way, act as if, usually in hopes of becoming that which I am pretending. To actually be that way, from the inside out, I need love as the motivator, AND supernatural help! To have that kind of love, I must receive the love God gives me. It is so much bigger than my early, naïve, notions of love. I need a better measuring stick of how I am to love others. 

The love described in verses 4-7 are the characteristics of the Holy Trinity. The perfect example I want to follow, internalize, experience from God and reflect and give back. It can be a feeling; but it is also an obedient choice, independent of feeling. 
These verses list activities, behaviors. These I can practice whether I “feel” love or not. Love is patient – it endures offenses and does not nurture resentment. It absorbs the negative and persists in doing good. Love is kind; I know what that is and I know when I’m not.  Love doesn’t envy – no envy because we are content in what God made us – no boasting because we are His creation so no credit to take.
Love doesn’t keep a record of wrongs – love is forgiveness. Love does not delight in evil – no sanctimonious judgment, no gossip. Rather, love grieves for those in sin and rejoices in another’s success. Love is sacrifice – putting another above our own comfort or safety. 
My takeway is to focus on love behaviors. I am given a list of actions I can take which are love, and I have a perfect example to follow. I know God wants me to persist in learning and expressing that kind of love. “Love one another as I have loved you.” (John 13:34). If I pray for it, practice it, he will deliver it. 
What love activity can you focus on today? What can you do/pray for that will take you closer to that activity and make you more loving? Do you need to forgive? Do you need to pray for another? Do you need to hold your tongue? Do you need to perform an act of kindness? Look for an opportunity to express your love today.

Anne Koproski lives in Wilton.  She has been a member of Hope for 20 years.  She is the church business meeting secretary and she is a church counter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment