Friday, December 2, 2016

Mark Linder - Romans 8:18

Trials
Romans 8:18 ESV

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.  

Earlier in Romans 8 Paul is talking about life through the Spirit and being guided by the Spirit instead of our sinful nature.

This passage, I believe God is telling us to persevere through our trials and stay focused on Him, because the promise of His glory is so much more than we could ever imagine.  James 1:2-3 tells us to “count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance”.

I have learned that the “joy” is not necessarily from the trials, but the fact that I know He is there with me while I am going through the trials. The hard part for me was always giving it over to Him, I felt like a child seeking a parents approval by getting through it on my own. It was a humbling experience when I finally realized that I couldn’t do it without Him, but even more humbling knowing that I no longer want to do it alone.

So, how do I do it with him, you ask. Good question.  First and foremost, I have learned to have continuous conversation with God through prayer.  The enemy knows how to attack each and every one of us, because he knows the weaknesses of our flesh.  By reading and listening to God’s word, and continually seeking & speaking to Him, it makes it much easier to recognize when you are being tried.  Recognizing that you are being attacked makes it easier to let Him take control and be at peace.  James 1:12 says “Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those that love Him.”

So now it is your turn to decide, are you going to go through it alone? How will you let God get you through the trials that you face?


Mark Linder, lives in Norwalk and has been attending Hope Church for 4 years.  He serves on the Men’s Ministry Team and the Board of Trustees.

No comments:

Post a Comment