Friday, October 28, 2016

Cindi Serenbetz - Ephesians 5:15-17



Direction - What does the Lord want you to do?

Ephesians 5:15-17 "So be careful how you live, not as fools but as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do."

Flying upward? Spiraling downward? Going in circles? Spinning the wheels-going no where? Around and around the same mountain or maybe a little mole hill? Forward? Backward? Need direction?
I have spent far too many years looking backward. Rehashing the past, wanting to change history and or some of the people. In Luke 9:62 Jesus says: "Anyone who puts a hand to the plow and then looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God." You probably know that in order to plow a nice straight furrowed field, one must look forward. Today, I can honestly report that God has given me the "serenity to accept that which I can not change, courage to change what I can and wisdom to know the difference." Now I am able to move forward and the lines are much straighter, more direct. Not so many bunny trails.
I am seriously, directionally challenged. Even with the help of a GPS I will often choose the wrong way. Proverbs 3:5 provides me with the direction I need: "Trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not in my own understanding, in all my ways follow Him and He will make my paths straight." This requires that I stop being distracted by circumstances and keep my eyes on Him. I am making it a daily habit to pray: Psalm 143:8b "Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life."
When I turned 60, I asked God for more direction! He directed me to Philippians 3:12-14 and I realized that Paul was talking about me too, when he said: "I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection! But I keep working toward the day when I will FINALLY BE ALL that Christ Jesus wants me to be. No dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which Christ Jesus is calling us up to heaven." So with heaven as my final destination I have one more suggestion- get filled up. Ephesians 3:19 states: "May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it. Then you will be FILLED TO THE MEASURE with all the fullness of God." Now I know I am good to go! Are you?

Where are you? Stuck in a rut? Needing to move forward? Ask God to show you the way to go and then trust Him to lead you!


Cindi Serenbetz has attended Hope Church for many years, giving a good 20 years to the youth ministry program before becoming a long time leader in the Ridgefield- Wilton Community Bible Study Class.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment