Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Clarissa Zapata - Romans 8:26-27


Prayer
Romans 8:26-27

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.  And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

In Romans, Paul reminds us that the Holy Spirit helps us in ways that we can’t comprehend because He knows us and our needs better than we do.  As I meditated on today’s scripture, I was brought back to a time when I was a young twenty-something living in NYC and working at a large ad agency, straight out of Mad Men.  My days were consumed with staying current on the happenings in the media, knowing the status of J Lo’s love life, and stressing over how a “Bennifer” break-up would have a colossal impact on the launch of her new fragrance.  My dreams and my prayers were solely focused on me.  On my career path.  My professional life.  I remember praying that I would quickly climb the corporate ladder, but those prayers seemed to fall on deaf ears and I didn’t know why.  I was weak, frustrated and lost.

Paul explained that we don’t always know what to pray for because we don’t have God’s omniscient vision, yet we should take comfort in the knowledge that the Holy Spirit is there for us, interceding on our behalf and helping us in our weakness.  Or, as the great country music “theologian” Garth Brooks put it, some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.  Thankfully, the Holy Spirit interceded on my behalf in those trying days, and led me toward a path of true happiness.  I am now blessed with a wonderful husband, a beautiful daughter and a lovable yet mischievous dog. With the help of the Holy Spirit, I work hard to be the best Mom and wife that I can be.  I am thankful to now have a truly rewarding job and I am appreciative of the blessings God has given me.

Questions to Consider:
1.   How can you submit yourself to God through the Holy Spirit, letting the Holy Spirit guide you?
2     .How can you be more thankful for all that God has given you?


Clarissa Zapata lives in Westport with her husband and daughter, and has been attending Hope since 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment