Friday, October 7, 2016

Lori Duncan - 1 Corinthians 12:4-7

"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good." (NASB)
When I read these verses in the context of 1 Corinthians 12 I picked up on this awesome truth that God has done so much to help us in our Christian life.  I realized that God wants us to know we are part of a bigger picture here, the body of Christ.  He wants us as part of His body to become agents of His love, His hands and feet and His voice where ever you are and whom ever you talk to.  This is such and awesome responsibility!

When I was young in Lord it was so difficult to know where I fit in.  My question was where does God want me?  What does he want me to do.  As I attended church on regular basis, I felt like I just wanted to fit in, the same way I fit in at home or with my friends.  The cool thing is once you’ve attended long enough, you start to know where you fit in.  But there is still that process of figuring out, things change our lives and you have to re-figure it out over again.  God continues to refine what we do and how we do it.  The real issue here is making sure you are doing what God is calling you to do.

Every year I am privileged to go to Nairobi, Kenya, I never wanted to go anywhere in Africa period.  God had to work on me for years by sending me out of comfort zone to Belize, New Orleans and even serving in the most craziest positions inside my church.  I learned that if I obey God in the little things and serve him wherever asked, that I am doing what he wants me to do in the body.  One of the these lessons I learned is that he kept on throwing me in these teaching positions.  And I kept on doing it but complaining to Him that I’m not a teacher.  I laugh at that now because I tend to do that a lot in the body of Christ.  But the biggest lesson that I have ever learned in serving is just to serve where ever needed. There is a song by Casting Crowns that says it all, and here is the Chorus:


But if we are the body
Why aren't His arms reaching?
Why aren't His hands healing?
Why aren't His words teaching?
And if we are the body
Why aren't His feet going?
Why is His love not showing them there is a way?
There is a way, there is a way
So I close with this question, what do you need to do?

Use your gifts, talents and abilities. Don’t hide them from the world. Let God be glorified in them daily. Meet needs as they are presented to you. If a need is made known to you,  God intended for you to do something about it. Ask God for opportunities to minister and watch in amazement as your life becomes a life of empowerment in ministry.  Seek Him first!  (Matt. 6:33)

 Ask God ~
“Lord what do You want me to do for You?”
“Lord how can You use me to build Your kingdom?
“Lord who can I serve today for You?”

These are pretty simple questions, but if we are willing to stop and listen to what God is trying to tell us, then we will come to understand where he wants us to serve HIM!

Perhaps a thought to ponder can be summed up by this saying (author unknown), "God gave each of us the precious gift of life, what we do with that life is our gift to Him.”


Lori Duncan lives in Norwalk, CT and a member of Hope Church since 1999. She serves on staff at Hope as the Communications Director.  She also co-teaches a Women's Bible Study on Tuesday's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment